Saturday, December 20, 2008

Hammer in the water tank!!

I was stumped at what to write here... after all I have not written in a long time. :D
Then I thought of it!!!!
We have snow... I know you all are saying "DUH!" But there is more to that story!
Today we went to the boys (fyi that is the horses) and that means chipping ice out of the 100 gallon water tanks. We take axes and hammers and proceed to bang away at the ice. Well, my sister was working on that job today while I was checking quail and chickens when all of a sudden I heard "Haaaannnaaaah" in a rather sheepish but frantic voice. I looked over and with a grin Melissa stated to me that she dropped the hammer into the water tank (on accident) and she couldn't get it out with the pitch forks. I groaned and as I tromped over to the tank I tried desperately to figure out a way to get the hammer out without getting wet. Obviously Melissa was NOT going to get the hammer out, she had made that clear. The wind was howling around us making the temperature -5 at the most. Then I did the only thing I could think of. I took my coat off and peeled my sweatshirt sleeve as far up as possible. I looked at my sister and then plunged my hand in. Oh the pain... it was soooo cold. I yelped as the cold bit at my arm. Finally I had the hammer and I drew it out of the water, plunked it on the fence and tried to warm my frozen arm. Already there was ice all over my arm as the wind had quickly frozen it. I ran out of the stall, rubbing the part of my body that was now numb and covered in ice and as I closed the door I heard that all too familiar "Haaaannnaaaah". My hear sunk as I heard Melissa say "Storm knocked the hammer back into the tank." Before I had a chance to think too long I ran back into the stall, ripped my sleeve up and plunged my hand into the water, screeching as once again the water bit at my arm. When the hammer was out for the second time I quickly informed my sister that I would NOT be doing that again and so she had better make sure the hammer stayed OUT of the water. So that is my story... but it was so not cool!!!!

10 comments:

Strider said...

Hey, just so you know, umm...how to put this...ice cold water and human skin don't go so well together. But I'm sure you figured that out. :)

Hey, I found your blogspot while on HSA. You are friends with one of my friends, Haylee Kay...anyways, thought I'd check your blog out...I've got a blog too, if you want to check it out. I think you can just click on my name, but just in case, it's www.shaleres.blogspot.com

and my HSA profile is http://www.homeschoolalumni.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3613

~ A fellow Blogger

Stormgirl said...

Hey... lol
Oh ya, I went and looked you up on HSA. You are kinda new on there, it is pretty cool to meet fellow homeschoolers.
hmmm... yes I found that particular combo of freezing water and skin to be very uncomfortable. :D
I will go read your blog tomorrow, when I am awake. Thanks for posting.

Shelby said...

my poor friend..you are so sweet to your sister!!!! wow! <3

Isaacme said...

Normally I would find this an opportune moment to make fun of you Hannah, but in light of your honest to goodness bravery I fear I must pass and simply concede that I’m proud to know such a brave soul.

Stormgirl said...

Awww, that is very nice of true Trevor. I think I am actually speechless. :D lol

Kelsey said...

Oh my, Hannah, I thought the story was over when you rescued it the first time, but it happened again!?
I must echo Trevor's kind statement! =)

Historian Anne said...

Kudos to a brave soul!!!
The most I've done is shovel out the driveway with help. Missed you at church:( Maybe Christmas Eve Service?

Anonymous said...

Hip Hip Hurray for Hannah's bravery!!! I can not imagine having to do that!! :) What a sweet and selfless sister!! :)
Missed you at church!!
Stay warm now and next time, try to keep your hand from having to be amputated! ;)
Love,
Roxana

Emily said...

Okay, Hannah, so I was just about to breathe a sigh of relief, when I got to the part that you had to do it AGAIN!!!! No way!!! You poor dear sweetheart!

hannah said...

oh dear, Hannah! for what it's worth, I know how you feel! for the first part of this year, i had to break the ice on our horse water tank, too! honestly, I'm glad my dad was willing to put in a heater! saves a ton of time! miss you tonz!!!