After almost two weeks of snow, I finally decided on Friday to go out and play in it. Its sad that it took so long to finally get out there, but when you have to work a lot in the snow, playing doesn't seem all that fun. LOL
It was late afternoon by the time my sister and I made our way out into the deep white fluff. We promptly decided to make a "fort", making me remember the days where forts, lions, and pretend food were all the rage.
There was a huge drift/pile of snow from dad's shoveling job that was in the front yard and we both decided that would be the perfect place to create a snow home.
And so the digging commenced. This digging was done by the best shovels known to man: hands (but gloved hands). Melissa and I took turns digging at the opening to our "home". My aunt quickly informed us that we looked like dogs digging a hole in the ground. I suppose we did, especially as we got deeper and all you could see was the back of our legs and our feet sticking up in the air. :D
After a while a nice tunnel began to take shape and we excitedly ran to ask dad if we could sleep in our igloo ( much better term for a snow house). The answer came back quickly "NO". The reason: it might collapse on top of us.
Now in my mind this did not seem quite right, after all I had taken a geology class and we had learned what to do for an avalanche and two of three feet of snow collapsing over our heads was hardly an avalanche (there is my rather stupid logic).
We finally decided that the igloo was finished when both Melissa and I could fit inside it and turn around. You know, it was quite a marvelous feeling... being in something you made ,being warm, and the novelty of the snow and all.
Melissa and I laid in our igloo talking for about 20 minutes, enjoying the dark and the white snow surrounding us while wondering how we were going to be able to convince dad to let us sleep in it.
Finally we wandered out, wet, hungry and hopeful... but alas, the answer was still no.
So we proceeded to go to sleep that night in our real home... wistfully dreaming of a night that could have been spent inside a tunneled out pile of snow.
Sadness... we awoke the next morning to find that our igloo had fallen in, right where our opening was (due to rain). Dad was right in the end, although I still think it would have been funny to be in there when the opening fell in.
5 comments:
ha ha, very funny! Siblings are great fun to do random things with!!
What is it with all of you people and loosing your brains and wanting to go sleep outside in the snow. Am I the only one who still has a brain?
Sleeping in an "igloo" isn't really sleeping outside. It would be sleeping in something!
Hmmmm... it could be the other way around Trevor. (just a thought) :D
Fun! I heard about some other campers who did some crazy "sleep outside in the snow' stuff. Don't you think it would have been a funny way to end the story with you gals waking up to the roof falling in?
Lol. My sibs built a snow cave that slept 4. And they did spend the night in it...twice!
Post a Comment