Monday, September 14, 2009

When manners run out the door...

We live in a society that overall, is polite. We say “excuse me” when we need to get past someone, we use a napkin when we eat, and we use tissues. But there is a time…even in our society…when manners seem to be completely forgotten. Those times are races…as in running races.
Today I saw that phenomena once again. When you get five hundred or so people together and make them run and then feed them food after, very little is left of the once prim and proper people that existed just hours before the race. Here is a brief and rather humorous account of races.

First we start with parking. Yes parking… the very first issue to deal with at a race. You have to arrive so stinkin’ early because everybody else is arriving early so that they can get a decent parking spot. And so as the years pass, the times that people arrive just get earlier and earlier as people fight for those precious parking spots. (you know, it would save time if they would just run to the race, don’t you think?)

Then the check ins, which are pretty much always done by letter of the last name now. So for example I checked in at the “F-G” box. I think this way of doing things was done because people were getting competive about their spot in the line and probably would get out of hand and snarky with each other.

Ok, so now that people have parked and checked in, the most crucial battle begins; the battle of the bathrooms/porta-potties. Oh yes, that is also a competitive thing. For some strange and unknown reason ever runner just has to use these lovely “thrones” at least once before the race commences. And so begins the oh so joyful event of standing in line for your “turn”. Mens and Womens restrooms are no longer segregated and the males in line don’t care if there are women waiting behind them, because they were FIRST in line.

Now you would think I am done discussing the mannerless actions of runners because the race should start. But nope… I am not done. We still have getting in order of time behind the starting line. Yup, this is also cause for confusion, pushing, shoving, and at times panic. People are trying desperately to find a spot to stand (forget about having room to move your arms, people become content to look like a sardine). And just when you think you have your spot you realize that you are in the wrong timing group and the process of pushing begins all over again.

The race starts, everything is rather ducky (in a different sort of way considering that runners pay to go through self-inflicted pain). Miles pass… Then other examples of non-existent manners begin to show themselves. You reach a water station. No stopping gracefully to take the cup of water and sip its contents casually… you grab that little flimsy paper cup and down its contents…all while you are on the move. Many times this quick gulping also includes spilling much of the liquid on your face and shirt. What ever happened to neatly drinking???

Briefly I will enliven you on two another aspects. Tissues… we use them to be polite. Tissues do not exist in races. Hahaha… why would you carry a tissue (and weigh yourself down with those heavy objects?) when you can just use your sleeve or the bottom of your shirt? This is said from experience… both in doing and watching, just in case you wanted to know. Also, that beautiful glistening on peoples’ faces and the dark spots showing on their clothes. Its sweat and they don’t care that you see it. Normally, we don’t glisten with sweat in public, but in this setting, I think sweat is almost worn with pride.

Eventually the race nears an end. Runners begin picking up speed or sprinting to the finish line. No “excuse me” when they need to get by. They just barrel on through. Oh and yup, you could have been pacing with somebody for much of the race. But when it comes down to the finish line, you will do EVERYTHING in your power to beat them.

The race is over and food is being served. Fruit is devoured and napkins are nowhere to be seen. Fruit juice runs down peoples chins and drops onto their clothes. Nobody blinks an eye. Chewing with your mouth open, while talking…pshaw, no biggie!!!

Ok… so I made things into a bigger deal than they really are. But I kid you not, people change in personality (or maybe it’s the “real” them coming out) when they go to race. And I have to admit, that I have done everything I just talked about. ;)

2 comments:

Shelby said...

Oh my! Amen! is that ever the truth! Oh I especially love the part about the portapottys. :P But racers are polite in their own ways, just not in the ordinary. :) Oh well, to run and sweat and not say "excuse me" I'm going to run over you...that's just part of it all I guess.

Historian Anne said...

Well well dear, should we reeducate you on manners?