Sometimes we do things a little out of the ordinary.
Sometimes we do things just a tad bit crazy.
And there are the times where we just... I don't know... do things that are more than crazy.
Yesterday I ran my very first marathon. To say it was a blast would be a lie. But to say it was horrible would also be a lie.
Mile 1 - Its cold. Very cold. From past experience I knew that the biting air wouldn't last long...
There was a sea of people and front and in the back, well I don't know, because I didn't turn around. We ran down an a long hill and I had to exert great control and resist the temptation to fly down the road and zap my energy.
Miles 2-6 - Life is good!! Very good! Even the nice long hill was rather ducky. It felt very invigorating to be running in the beautiful sun and listening to great music. At about mile six I saw the Larsens, Ramskey, and my sis. They were cheering, I was smiling, and I was right on schedule.
Mile 7-11 - Its going so great! I am moving along, through neighborhoods, along the waterfront, and up and down hills. I am drinking my electrolyte water (thanks Grant for that stuff...it is actually good) and eating gel and not bored. I see the Larsens about then. I am still right on time!
Mile 12-14 - Finally the turn off for the marathon and the half-marathon. It was right after a nasty incline and despite being slightly out of breath I couldn't help but smile. For a split second though, I did consider taking the turn off for the half-marathon. But no, I kept to the path I paid for. Then I was committed. For the longest time I ran without anyone around. That was rather boring and made running through neighborhoods dull. I kept myself entertained with pretending to own the houses.
Mile 15 - 16 - Pain. It started and didn't go away (in fact its still here as I am writing). We started the interurban trail. I saw Mr. Clarke...he was walking. I asked him how long till I would be turning around..he said quite a while. Little did I know how much he really meant by that. Slowly I wound around. Then I got to a decline... and I recognized that hill going down and knew and cringed at what was to come. I prayed for a water station. My water pack was empty, my tummy was growling, and I hadn't seen my family. I reached the bottom of the hill, rounded the corner and there was my dad and my sister. They jumped out the car and ran over to me. As they filled my water pack and gave me food I heard how my dad had finished his first half-marathon in an amazing time of 2:09! Way to go dad! Then I said my goodbyes, rounded another corner and began the long and painful ascent up California Hill. If you haven't seen this disgusting piece of torture...its worth seeing. Finally I made it to the top, alive but not thrilled.
Mile 16-22 - Oh man...its bad. Pain is all I can think of. Every once in a while I take a short walk break. I know this is where things start to get mentally grueling. I see Kristi again... she is looking a bit tired, but still running at a great pace.
I can't think of any more topics to mull and ponder over. Pain is just about the only present in my mind. That and the fact that my goal time is quickly disappearing, AND I am just about 100% sure that they messed up the mile markers. Miles were NEVER this long. Finally I reach California Hill...this time on the descent. Slowly I make my way down, tripping on this hill would result in the biggest slide-on-your-bum time of your life!
I round the corner to once again see my family and the Larsens and Ramskey. Life is looking up again. My water pack gets refilled, we talk briefly. Then I am off.
Mile 23-25 - When something goes down, its gotta go back up. That is what happened to that great downhill section of the course. Turning around made it go up. This is one of those times where you only think about the next step. Eventually I made it to the top and eventually I made it off the interurban trail. You know, pride is a great thing (hardly ever). It is what kept me going past people, and what made me dread seeing DNT (Did Not Finish) next to my name.
Mile 26 - Horrible...almost there. Can I make it? Maybe...
The minute I saw the sign saying 26 miles I began bawling. Not quiet tears...no this was boohooing, bawling, lots of noise-making. I don't know why...I just couldn't hold things in anymore.
26.2 - The end. My daddy was there cheering me on. Then Abbie, then Shelby and Kels holding a sign. I saw my sister, the Larsens, Sebens, Ramskey. I saw that glorious finish line... and I sprinted with the last little bit of "umph" that I had left. I made it. It was over. Thank you Lord!
Thank you to my great and awesome friends, family and support team. You all were awesome!!
My time... 5:52:10.
4 comments:
YAY!!!! Hannah you did it!!!!!
My favorite line from the post:
"If you haven't seen this disgusting piece of torture...its worth seeing."
You're great...and you ran 26.2 miles! WOW! So proud of you.
That's awesome Hannah! I loved seeing you cross the finish line!!! <3
Good going, girl! The "pride" (read: satisfaction) lasts longer than the pain.
You will do another, but then maybe the ultra bug will hit you, too. So beware!
Oh Hannah, it was so amazing to get to see you finish! What an accomplished! One of those, once in a lifetime things, your first marathon. Proud of you! (Oh and it sounds like you much own a lot of nice houses now ;)
Post a Comment