Saturday, March 7, 2009

Runin' with Daddy!!!




Saturday morning dawned cold, windy, and slightly sunny. I rolled out of bed at 8:09 with a pounding headache and quickly slipped into my running clothes. After taking something for my headache I made some toast and then daddy and I got into the car. All the way to Everson, Daddy kept saying that it was too cold to run, that it had better not be cold when we got there, and that if it rained even a few drops he would NOT run under any circumstances.
Where were we going?
Well, we were going to both run in a small race in Everson. Both of us were running the 4 mile race as we had decided that it wouldn’t be a good idea to run the ½ marathon. We arrived in plenty of time and registered. Finally after waiting for what seemed like hours, all of us the racers moved to the starting line and then we were off. Aaaaah… running! Its great! The first ¾ of a mile were glorious. Both daddy and I were flying along and passing people. But after that the wind picked up, coming in strong gusts and making it feel as though you were running in place. My pace dragged and I watched as my dad got further and further ahead of me. Eventually he was so far in front of me that I could no longer see him. I think that the next 2 miles were some of the worst miles of my life. I have decided now that running in the wind is painful, torturous and all out frustrating. I also have a theory about mile 3, because in this race there was no mile 3 mark and in the last race I did, there was no mile 3 mark as well. What is with that???
After I turned onto the last stretch that was about a mile long, I felt better. I was in a rhythm, things were going great! I passed the coffee shop that my friend Bailey works at and she came running out and cheered me on!! I love her!
And so, much to my chagrin, my dad beat me! I am very proud of him though! Yay!!! The best part was that we both placed 3rd in our age groups!! Daddy with a time of 34:25 and me with a time of 42:14!!! It was so much fun to run with him and I am so excited for the next race that we can do together!

5 comments:

C Scansen said...

congrats! (still glad ima biker :D)

Isaacme said...

Wow. I didn't know your dad ran. Very cool.

Shelby said...

That is sooo fun! I'm especially proud of your dad! but proud of you too!!! I love it...getting
3rd together, so cute. :) You go girl, running is quite the accomplishment.

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo!!! Nothing like crossing a finish line. That's awesome. Way to go, Hannah and Mr. G! :)

. me . said...

Wow! Way fun to do that with your dad! But you were in everson and I was working that day and you didn't come see me! :( sadness! Oh well...another time right? :)