On September 28, 2008 at 7:30 in the morning I began what would be the longest run of my life, both in time and distance. It was my first ½ marathon. I knew it would be hard and fun, but little did I know to what extreme I would learn the word "hard". Amongst family and friends I began with little thought of what would go on in between me and the finish line. Only one thought was in my mind… I WOULD finish. If I had to crawl, I would. So I began…. And here is what went on.
Mile 1 – Could we start out any slower? Frustration began to well up in me as the minutes ticked by following the start and still I hadn't moved an inch. Finally people in front of me began to move and a smile slowly crept across my face. "Here it comes" I thought. Boy oh boy…. I was in for it. I ran past my family and friends. So nice of them to be here in the cold I thought, then I laughed knowing that in about 5 minutes there would be no cold. There were people as far as I could see in front of me, but I didn't look back because there weren't that many behind being that I was in the back. The cool, crisp air was so invigorating and I grinned as I saw many breath clouds in front of me. THIS IS SO COOL!
Mile 2 – I always know this is my hardest mile to run, but never have I seen mile signs creep by so slow. What am I doing? I have over 11 miles left…. Crazy. Water up ahead, praise the Lord, now I feel much better. I round a bend in the road and there way up ahead are the Larsens and the Balvanzes. Oh they timed their encouragement well. My pace increases and I smile as I run past. Thank the Lord for friends. We wind around streets and still no 3 mile sign. I never end up seeing it.
Mile 4 – I just had water at Cornwall park…. Life is glorious. I could run forever!!!! Oooh I am crossing the guide and see a huge sea of people running in front of me. I run faster and begin to pass people. We are now at the harbor and the sun is glinting off metal everywhere….ouch, oh what I would do for a pair of sunglasses. Then I see my parents and sister, oh I love them. My speed increases again.
Mile 5 – My nose is running and I am super grateful for the handkerchief in my pocket. I go to wipe the sweat off my face there is none. Satisfaction in myself creeps into my head, that is until my hand goes to my hair and I sheepishly smile. My hair is soaked and dripping, did I think I wasn't going to sweat? Oh no, the first big hill. I have run this before in a previous race, not cool. There is my family again, they are cheering. I can do this! Then they are driving up next to me and mom is asking how I am. I am fantastic then!!! I run next to them up half the hill.
Mile 6 – I am almost half-way done. So if I am this far already and I feel this good I should just run the whole marathon. Pride goes before the fall! There is another hill, a killer hill. More water!
Mile 7 – Big hill to Fairhaven. I ran this going the opposite direction and it was cool. Going uphill is not. My pace begins to drag. I am hot, hungry, and running with no one. The Larsens drive by and Mr. Larsen is yelling out the window. Perfect timing again! I run faster, then hear somebody call my name. I turn around and there is Kristi and her running partner Missy. I run with them for ½ mile till they go use the restroom. I pass a girl who looks my age.
Mile 9 – Just had water again! Feel much better. Now I am running with that girl. She knows me. Down the hill we go and through the Village Green. She walks, I keep running. Another hill. By the way, I hate hills just now. Now we are on the trail and up ahead is the turn offs for the full and ½ marathon. I turn and head up still another hill. This one is long and there is a guy half way trying to blow a horn or something and it sounds horrible. Up we go and I feel like I am making no head way. We get to the top and there it is!!! 10 miles!
Mile 10 – Down the hill and I feel horrible. I am hungry and shaking. The view is beautiful and I am revived. I am determined to make it. I grab a cup of water and a cup of Ultima (electrolyte water). I gulp down some Ultima and groan at the disgusting taste. Determined I swallow another gulp and then throw the horrible stuff in the trash. No way am I finishing that. Slowly we wind back to the Inter-urban trail. Then something looms ahead. A hill, but in my mind it looks straight up and down. The tears gather, I can't do it. Then a picture of the finish line flashes in my head and verses from the Bible begin to come to me. I start up it, but am I really moving? Finally the top! Praise the Lord. Some other runner passes me and asks me something but I have no clue what they are saying. Down the ramp to the board walk.
Mile 11 – A sign on the waterfront says "Life is short, running makes it longer." I agree whole-heartedly. Across the train tracks and we missed the train!!! Yeah!! Then the trail… keep running. Misery and pain sweep through my body.
Mile 12 – I am insane… completely insane. Running is wrong. An lady in her 70's passes me. Hmph… nice try. I pass her, but feel horrible. Keep running. Water up ahead.
Mile 13 - Down a hill! People are saying I am almost there. But they have been saying that since mile 6. I don't believe them. This will never end. The girl I have been running with decides to sprint the last bit. I round the corner and see the arch of the finish line. Waves of pain begin again. People are walking toward me that have already finished. I get really irritated at the slowness of their pace, can't they see I am running. Move out of the way. I cross the intersection and have about 300 yards or so left. Then I go all out. Everything else is a haze, I barely see my friends and family, I just hear them. I am almost there…. The pain grows, my sides ache, my breath comes in gasps. Then I am through the arch. In what feels like another world, my timing chip is cut off, I am handed a medal, a water, I hug the girl I ran with. Mom comes, Mrs. Larsen comes, I smile… I AM DONE!!!
2:25:35 and 9 out of 14 in my division but hey its over!So there is my long story… Hope it brought a smile to your face. I can't wait for my next run!!!
4 comments:
Way to go Hannah!!!!!:)
Good job Hannah!! You did so good keep up the great work. How did you remember something about every mile?
Thanks!
LOL! I remembered something about each mile because each mile marker was so important and I was concentrating so hard. When you are bored your mind will hold on to strange things. :D
YAH! YEAH! HOORAY!
Great work Hannah!
Amazing job. Isn't it amazing what you can do when you really push your body and mind... so much more that what you think you can! I am learning more about myself than ever while I've been training. Keep up the amazing work girlfriend!
Post a Comment