The haunting melody of “Ubi Caritas” floats in the air
spinning and twirling as it hits the ancient stones above and comes to rest
gently and softly on the ears of the listeners.
The cathedral is vast… tall, wide, long; built of stone and beautifully
ornate inside. But the visuals aren’t
the focus of that moment. Instead both
singer and listener alike are captivated by the sounds that fill the slightly
chilled air. It is a melody filled with
the idea of love for God and each other.
In the heart of each singer beats a love for music and for one
another. Although the words have been
sung countless times, each singer sings it with a fresh energy, for this is
perhaps the last time they will ever sing together in a place like this. This is one moment in time that will forever be
in the past, so they must live to the fullest in the present. With focused breath and intent eyes they watch their
conductor, yet the emotion and truth of the moment is apparent. The conductor moves in a beautifully seamless dance that inspires and wills the singers to follow, her face expressing the same emotion as the choir. For those two minutes of wafting angelic
sounds, all pain and sorrow, frustration and confusion is lost. It is replaced by a sense of purpose and of
belonging. No longer are they solo
singers, instead they are a living and breathing unit, working in sync to
create perfect harmonies.
As I sing, my eyes begin to cloud over with tears and my
heart quickens. I am stunned once again
at the emotion of our music. Each moment
is precious and never to be taken for granted.
The voices around me swell as the musical phrase arcs. I breathe deeply and feel the stability and
support around me. This is community. Then, it hits me, and the tears spill from the
corners of my eyes: these experiences are about to be over, never to be again
repeated. These people, who have entered
my life, have changed me for forever.
The beauty, good, and friendship they have brought into my life
overwhelms me, and it is in that moment that I truly begin to see the absolute
honor and blessing to claim a community like this choir. There truly is no such feeling as when you
belong.
These other singers... they are people who have entered my life over time, making me forget what life was like without them. They have become my family. They have become my inspiration and challenge. Our time together is short and perhaps will never occur again. This makes me thankful for the undeserved blessing of being with them. Pictures of smiles and hugs and tears and laughter flash across my memory. I look around me once again, feeling the surge of emotional energy as the song comes to an end. The moments are quickly moving into history and I know there is no other group of people that I would rather make history with.
So thank you Concert Choir for welcoming me, loving me, and allowing me to be part of a team that creates love, memories, and music. Traveling to Europe with you was one of most memorable and moving experiences of my life. My heart is overflowing with gratefulness. You have helped keep the song in my heart and the smile on my face. My life has been changed by each of you. I am humbled.
One of the best ways to sum this up....lyrics
from “For Good” from the musical “Wicked”.
When I heard these I burst into tears, because it seemed as though they
had been written specifically for this time.
I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you
Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend.
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you
Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend.
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing a piece of your beautiful time in Europe. Sounds breathtaking. And yes, "For Good" can put tears in my eyes as well.
Loved getting to read this window into your time away Hannah! What a true blessing and amazing experience. So glad you got to go and enjoyed some sweet memories.
Post a Comment