Monday, November 19, 2012

As when you belong

I looked down the line of singers, faces barely lit by the faint glimmer of the candles held in their hands... the room dark, still, peaceful, waiting.
The air was heavy with expectancy as the audience waited to listen to our next song. 
The first notes of the altos floated throughout the room, filling every space, reaching every ear, touching every soul. 

Sometimes you have moments of an extreme sense of belonging, of knowing without a shadow of a doubt that you are in the right place.  This moment was one of them.  Hearing, participating, giving music together... oh, that is precious. 

Nothing quite compares to the beauty found in the unity of a choir.  In the joy of a choir.  In the energy, presence, and camaraderie. 

In that moment, I was filled with such joy and pride and sadness and longing and peace.... it hit me that one day, in the very near future, these moments would end.  The next season of life would begin, no more choir like that.  For a split second my heart sank in complete desperation to hang on tightly to every moment.  But then I realized, I have memories, and friendships, and experiences to remind me of the beauty of those moments.  Once finished, those moments still affect, still comfort, still energize. 

And so, I know that those moments remind me to cherish every rehearsal, concert, and choir member even more. 
Thank you Concert Choir for bringing beauty and joy to my life.  I have so much love for you.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

LOVE! Music does amazing things to the soul.