Saturday, February 21, 2009

Drama in life and other such things associated with times like these...

Sometimes things in life just don't go quite according to plan. Such was my Thursday. What was so special about this day? Well , it was supposed to be my audition for Cedarville University. Corina was going to meet me at church and video it, then we were going to her house to send it via email. Simple process... right? I guess not, because it turned into a ordeal that neither one of us ever thought possible.
Now that I think about it though, it all started the night before. I was emailing my friend Caleb, and asking him about a few things regarding sending the recording, but when he found out what kind of video camera it was (we were originally going to use Corina's) he flipped out and said that it wouldn't work. So I re-did my plans and my friend Kelsey offered to lend me her camera. I got all of that squared away and went to bed quite happy with the thought that I had been saved from anything going wrong. Such was not the case.
I arrived at church the next day ready to play for my audition. Corina and my mom arrived, then camera was set up and then we recorded the audition. It went ok and then we left for Corina's. When we arrived we had something to eat and started figuring out how to get the video sent. This was at 2:00 in the afternoon. At 3:00 no progress except in the amount of stress we were both feeling. Finally I began calling people. My list of contacts became a list of who might possible have a firewire. I called so many people, texted people, and freaked out on the phone. Then I waited... still nothing. Then we had an idea... my mom was still in town and so she went and bought that firewire cable for us. What a relief!
Except it didn't end there. All those people that I had called or texted began returning my calls. My phone was busy for the next 2 hours.
I could tell you that this was the end of the story, but that's not true. When we finally got the firewire, then we had to get the recording onto the computer. That took another 1/2 hour. Then we couldn't figure out how to get in from one computer to the next (the one with Internet). Caleb was going to remote access the computer and then Corina got it to work. But first it had to reformat the recording. Another long wait, and in the mean time I went home for a little bit. I arrived back at Corina's house 1 hour later only to find that it was just finishing condensing (or whatever the word is) and about 10 minutes later it was sent. By then it was 6:30, which meant it was 8:30 Ohio time. My stress dissipated only to be replaced another kind of stress. What if it was too late? I left with Vanessa for dinner and time at Woods. While at Woods I received an email from the professor at CU saying that he had received the audition, that it wasn't late, and that he would review it with others the next day. And so after all the stress and preparing, I now wait. And wait. And WAIT. Soon I will know what the outcome of that audition is... but in the meantime I can do nothing but wait ( and check email).

8 comments:

Shelby said...

Aw my friend...that was so sad...would have been stressful! I'm excited to hear the results! I know that it is going to be good. :P You should start counting how many times you've checked your email! I think that I would probably just sit there and not even move for a few days.

Anonymous said...

Patience is a virtue...but isn't it a painful thing to have to use?? I'm so excited for you and eagerly awaiting your news!!! =)

Anonymous said...

Poor thing! That sounds so frustrating! I'm sure you did wonderful and the recording is amazing!:) You must tell us when you get a response!

Isaacme said...

I'm sure you did Amazing Hannah. Just think, at least your not as technologically disadvanced as our geography teacher

Emily said...

CONGRATULATIONS MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!! :D

Historian Anne said...

Yes and after all that drama you still had energy to go out with me thanks Hannah!

Corina said...

what a looong afternoon that was!!! Oh, it makes me smile to remember :)

I'm so proud of you for pushing through all the barriers and getting that audition recorded and sent off. You're such a go-getter!

Corina said...

and I'm soooo happy to hear the good news as of Monday!!! :D